While You Wait
5We know that the wait is long and it can feel like your life is on hold. Here are a few steps to take so that you may keep moving forward while you wait.
- Prayerfully consider these ten important questions: For Parents Preparing to Foster or Adopt.
- Attend a support group. After becoming a Project 1.27 family, this will be required, but during the wait this can be beneficial as most families in the group know just how you feel.
- Recruit a committed support team to help you on this journey. Talk with your family members, friends, church connections, etc. about joining your support team.
- Ready your home. This includes removing excess clutter, finishing undone projects and cleaning the child’s room.
- Experience the Make Your Sock Stand Campaign: Walk through the Make Your Sock Stand Campaign as a family to learn and understand more about kids in foster care.
- Get your financial budget in order.
- Determine how you will manage your time once a child enters your home. Consider setting aside some commitments and projects for the first year to focus on your new child. Cut down your work schedule, extracurricular activities, moving plans, etc.
- Learn about the public schools in your area.
- Talk with your current children about foster care and adoption.
- Make friends with and/or visit other fostering and adoptive families. Be part of their support team!
- Educate yourself on foster care system issues. Kids in foster care have had unique experiences and your education and understanding on these issues can prove helpful to your foster or adoptive family. Like Project1.27 on Facebook and learn with us!
- Pray for the waiting children.